Friday, 12 August 2011

A Very Delicious Brownie Recipe!

So whilst browsing through TK Maxx, I decided to have a flick through the books they sold there. And that is when I found the book 'More from Magnolia: Recipes from the World-Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen'. It was £5 and contained some mouth-watering recipes (think Blueberry Coffee Cake with Vanilla Glaze, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies and Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie with a Cookie Base- yum) so I thought I would get it. So I couldn't wait to get cooking; it was a tough choice on what to do, but I finally decided to make Chocolate Brownies with Caramel, Peanut Butter and Pecans.
It was quite straigh-forward to make, and nothing was too difficult to do, it was just that because there were so many stages, and that's way it did take a little while to make, but completely worth it. The brownie itself is very rich with it being so chocolately and gooey, but wonderful nevertheless! It goes fabulously with the toffee (I'll explain later) later, white chocolate, pecans and buttery biscuit base. They were pretty good even if I say so myself.

So here is what they looked like (they weren't cut very neatly, sorry!):





They were so delicious, that I can't help but share this recipe with you! But before I begin, just a little disclaimer that this is not my own recipe, and I am giving you the one from 'More from Magnolia: Recipes from the World-Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen'.

Base
185 g (6 1/2 oz) digestive biscuit crumbs
175 g (6 oz) unsalted butter, melted

Caramel Filling
450 g (1 lb) vanilla caramels (I couldn't find these, so I used toffee. It works perfectly fine, but since toffee is a bit tougher, I recommend adding a couple more tablespoons of double cream).
4 tablespoons double cream
85 g (3 oz) toasted pecan nuts, coarsely chopped (see Note) <---You don't need to toast the pecans, I didn't.
85g (3 oz) peanut butter chips or white chocolate chips

Brownie
65 g (2 1/4 oz) plain flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
115 g (4 oz) unsalted butter
175 g (6 oz) plain chocolate
300 g (10 1/2 oz) sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Note: To toast the pecan nuts, place them on a baking tray in an oven at Gas Mark 4/180 degrees centigrade/fan oven 160 degrees centigrade for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.

Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180 degrees centigrade/fan oven 160 degrees centigrade.

To make the base,  in a medium-sized bowl, combine the digestive biscuit crumbs and melted butter. Press firmly into an ungreased 33 x 23-cm (13x 9-in) baking tin. Set aside.

To make the caramel filling, in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, melt the caramels (or toffee) with the cream, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Remove from the heat and pour over the biscuit base. Use a spatula to spread it evenly. Sprinkle the pecans and peanut butter chips (or white chocolate chips) over the caramel. Set aside.

To make the brownie, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a medium-sized saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat, transfer to a large bowl and allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour the batter over the pecans and peanut butter chips (or white chocolate chips) to completely cover the caramel layer. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the tin comes out with moist crumbs attatched. Do not over-bake.

Cool to room temperature, cover tightly with cling film and allow to set overnight before cutting and serving.

I'd love to hear how it went if you made this, and any changes you made to the recipe like adding different nuts.

Lots of Love,

Isabella x

3 comments:

  1. These look yummy, I'd have to make them Vegan as allergic to some ingredients but that is easily done

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm these look lovely :)I wish I could eat some! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. @rose petals and @sugarpuffish

    thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts